1. Publish The Two Stroke Dirt Bike Engine Building Handbook
I was able to get about 75% of the writing completed in 2016. I still need to take photos and format before I’m ready to publish. (Thanks to all of you who have been patiently waiting!)
2. Document the Design of a New Two Stroke Engine Concept
I spent a minimal amount of time on my engine design project and did not make much progress. Who knew acquiring five acres of land, a workshop, and a home would be so time consuming?
3. Set up my workshop
I nailed this one and got my shop setup fairly well. I’m at the point where I’m lusting after machines and more tools (of course, when am I not?). For workshop details check out my post: Workshop Planning.
4. Race local hare scrambles
I never made it to a race. Again, homeownership and house projects got the best of me.
5. Read 30 minutes/night
I did not consistently read 30 min/night, but got through a healthy amount of books. I’m going to take partial credit on this one. Here are some of the books I read with the one’s I’d definitely recommend reading denoted with an asterisk*.
The Wright Brothers - David McCullough*
Stumbling On Happiness - Daniel Gilbert
Defending Beef - Nicole Nimann*
Maximum Boost- Corky Bell
Supercharged! - Corky Bell
Elon Musk - Ashlee Vance*
Iacocca - William Novak*
Metal Casting: A Sand Casting Manual For the Small Foundry Vol. 1 - Stephen Chastain
Metal Casting: A Sand Casting Manual For the Small Foundry Vol. 2 - Stephen Chastain
The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting - C. W. Ammen
I’m excited for the new year (I hope you are too!) and the opportunity to recenter my plans. I’ve spent a fair amount of time reflecting on the past year and what I want out of this year, so without further delay below are my goals for 2017.
2. Publish quality content to the DIY Moto Fix blog bimonthly for all you awesome readers.
3. Go solo in a 3 hour endurance ice race and complete it successfully.
4. Race at least two hare scrambles this summer.
5. Complete the CAD modeling of last year’s two-stroke engine concept.
6. Finish annihilating the invasive species called Buckthorn that has populated my land like horny rabbits and get our apple orchard going.
7. Finish roughing in and laying out my track/trail on my property.
8. Read 12 books.